Friday, May 21, 2010

The Beauty of the Wisconsin Dells

The beauty of Wisconsin Dells is the one thing I remember the most from my childhood vacations there. It has been sixteen or seventeen years since I have been, we used to go every summer as kids, and even though the water parks and all the indoor theaters, arcades and magic shows sounded like tons of fun, it was the River that I remember. 



The Upper Dells Boat tour was a boat ride I remembered well, and we decided on it again for our return.  All the area that is surrounded by the river in Wisconsin Dells is protected, so they are very limited opportunities to enjoy its beauty.  Sadly, in the last few years, it seems that the entertainment venues have taken over and the focus on the actual Dells has decreased.  



We were lucky enough to get a beautiful spring day to head out on the river and walk through the stream cut paths. Witches Gulch, Stand Rock and Blackhawk's Face are all still there, and as interesting as they were when I was younger. 

 
I was excited to find out that the dog jump at Stand Rock was still part of the tour, even though the exciting Native American jamboree had been cut out.  And the Witches Gulch walking path was ubber fun, all the kiddies were oohing and awwing over the moss, the inscriptions they spied and the trees that seemed to spring out of every nook and cranny. It really was different than other places we have been.




I will definitely be back.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's some fantastic scenery! Too bad about the theme park stuff.

    ReplyDelete