Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Daytripping to Pisa, Italia!

The twins and I had nothing better to do this weekend so we decided to head to Pisa, Italia to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa! We have been to Italy, wait, I have been to Italy, but never to see the Tower, so we were all very excited.



Funny thing is, I pass the Tower all the time, but never have the time or inclination to stop, even though I think it is one of the coolest and weirdest things I have seen driving around. The twins have passed near it several times, but again, never had the chance to stop, get out and take a few snapshots.

We had time this weekend though, so we all hopped out and wouldn't you know it, but there was absolutely no one else checking out the Tower of Pisa today!

The girls were more excited about the cool looking telephone booth though, so we walked over to snap a couple pictures of them inside.

Wouldn't you know it, but there was not actually a phone inside the booth and I started laughing because it reminded me of the poor telephone booth that an angry Italian beat up in Piazza de Trevi because it didn't work.

In those couple of minutes we were snapping away, about five different families and a van full of tourists pulled up and we had to wait around to get pictures in front of the tower.  I was seriously getting irked because there was this couple that kept arguing over the poses they wanted to take and not actually taking any pictures.  Plus, I knew that if we were going to get home before I was too tired to drive anymore, we had to move fast. 

Our turn finally came and the girls went at it,
posing like mad in front of the Leaning Tower.





Catherine decided on a new approach to hold up the Tower and took the weight on her shoulder!










Christine decided to go Old School and hold the Tower up with her hands, lol!













Only thing was, the job was not actually that hard, but that was only because you are not looking at "the" Tower of Pisa, but the Tower of Niles :)


See, the real thing would definitely not be flying the American flag, front and center. 


The girls were hoping to trick everyone into thinking we really were in Pisa, Italy, but I think everyone around here knows about this Leaning Tower.  It is one of those weird things that pops up and you just cannot help but wonder at.

The story, as I heard it, was that the Tower of Niles was built in the hopes of gaining sister city status with Pisa, but the city originally balked.  Many, many years later, Niles and Pisa finally were sister cities-- but I am pretty sure that has since changed.  Now the city uses it as a meeting point and concerts are held in the plaza.  It is a really neat thing to stop and see though, as it is exactly one half the size of the real Tower smack in the middle of IL.

Oh, and I found another lion!
Unus Sed Leo!

1 comment:

  1. Heh, heh! Well, I guess if Memphis, TN can put up pyramids and sphinxes to commemorate its Egyptian namesake, I guess a town in the midwest can build their own Leaning Tower. But I have to wonder what the mayor and other notables of Pisa thought when they saw that tower in Niles. Hmmmm...

    Good to see you posting here again!

    ReplyDelete