Monday, August 9, 2010

Eight Ways to Use a Watermelon

We have been drowning in fresh fruit for months, which has left me looking for different ways to use everything that we cannot eat in a matter of daysWatermelon has been especially abundant, and in the past two months, I have come up with so many ways to use all the watermelon that we have. 

Here are some of them:

Watermelon Smoothies
Make smoothies with the extra flesh that you have by blending up to three cups melon, one and a half cup strawberry and three tablespoons lime juice.  Add one cup ice and sugar to taste.  Blend well and enjoy!   

Watermelon Licuado
I love drinking licuados all summer long, and watermelon is one of those flavors that just screams summer. I make mine using a whole watermelon cut into chunks and seeded.  Add watermelon and one liter of water to a bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.  Pour water and watermelon into sieve and into a serving pitcher, use spoon to push as much of the juice into the pitcher as possible, leaving only the watermelon flesh behind. Add the juice of one to two limes and honey to sweeten.  Pour over ice and enjoy!

Watermelon Sorbet
Fruit sorbets have become an evening dessert and so far we have done this with just about every fruit you can imagine. To make watermelon sorbet combine 4 cups pureed watermelon and 1/2 cup simple syrup in a small metal baking pan-- I like to use my banana bread pans. Freeze for six to eight hours and then serve!

Toasted Seeds
This was a first for me, but I am up for new things and since I pulled the seeds for the liquado already I figured, why not. So toast half a cup of seeds in a pan over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Add a 1.4 cup water to one and a half tsp salt to the pan and cook until the liquid is evaporated. Cool and enjoy as you would nay other seed. 


Toss in a Salad
I am surprised by how limited people are with their salads, and how many fruits and veggies people skip or simply do not know of. One of my favorite ways to enjoy watermelon is in salad, with jicama and mandarins.  It gives the salad a whole different taste and you do not need to add any dressing because the fruit gives you all the flavoring that you need. 

Make a salsa
A sweet and hot watermelon salsa is an incredible treat and can be done with just a couple ingredients and absolutely no cooking involved.  Dice up any leftover watermelon you have, dice one red chili or a green jalapeno pepper, squeeze the juice of one lime, chop cilantro and if you have mango or pineapple you can go ahead and add that to the salsa too. I like to eat it with chips or pour it over grilled chicken!

Pickle the Rind
I've read about this and even tried it once, but the result cannot be what everything I read have been going on about.  I am not giving up though, as the recipe I found was less than easy to follow and I think I might have messed something up or accidentally doubled an ingredient.  If you are up for it though, there are several online recipes and tons of books that are nothing but pickling. 


One Big Slice at a Time
Last but not least, I love to eat watermelon one big slice at a time! Many of my favorite summertime recipes involve eating watermelon, on a beach and getting all messy.  There have been Lake Michigan slices, Tybee Island slices, Washington beach slices, Padre Island slices and Long Island slices for me :)

3 comments:

  1. Any ideas for peaches? I visited the orchard over the weekend. So far, peach shortcake, peach sorbet (see tomorrow's blog), peaches in the freezer and peaches in my yogurt for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank for visiting Linda's Lunacy & linking up to the Saturday on the Farm Carnival.

    My family loves watermelon, I don't usually have any left to do anything with by the time they get done. lol We have another watermelon now. I think I'll try & talk them into letting me have some to try your ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watermelon! Thesea re all great ways to use watermelon...

    ReplyDelete