Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cheat Worthy Chicken With Mango Salsa

Co-op days are always crazy and hectic, and sometimes when I get home I just want to crash and take a nap-- actually, I do that a lot.  But, because we have just spent a long day out everyone is starving, and I just don't do fast food. 

We snagged some chicken breasts at the co-op though and I saw this stash of already prepared mango salsa and my mind immediately started flipping through all the mag versions of chicken with mango salsa that I spied all summer long.  

See, I have been wanting to try several versions, but the problem with mangos in my house is that they never last longer than a day.....actually, they never even make it into the fruit bowl. We love mangos around here. 

Almost every recipe that I dug up when I got home called for frying or breading the chicken, but I was not going to stand around cooking and I am trying to cut back on the fried foods that I prepare  at home. So instead I rubbed down the chicken breasts with garlic and lime, and dumped them into a pyrex dish to bake in the oven.  

I also cut up some red potatoes into wedges and sprinkled them with dried thyme, rosemary and garlic from my garden and put those on a rack under the chicken.  Tossed a fresh salad, spread the mango salsa over the chicken when it was fully cooked and wha-la!  By the time I was done putting away all the co-op groceries dinner was ready.  

I did feel like a total cheater because I used a prepped salsa, but it was delicious and totally worth it.  I have seen quarter pound packages of the stuff at the store for two dollars so if you are looking for a quick chicken dinner, give it a try. 

I didn't grab the cam to get a shot before serving and everyone (even the pickiest eaters) had seconds so there was nothing left.  :)

To make your own mango salsa:

2 mangos diced
juice from one lime
one small onion, diced
fresh cilantro, minced
sea salt (I prefer it)
chili powder (tiny dash)

Toss everything in a bowl and add chili powder to taste.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious. I suppose that homemade fried food is probably better than store-bought fried food, right?

    I have a terrible weakness when it comes to junk, but I'm trying to be better about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be careful with Mango, but this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good to me. I never fry chicken anymore. I love roasted chicken and rosemary and potatoes are a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete