Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Visit the Orchard of Spheres

Something really weird happened to me the other day.  I was standing outside, helping my dad sand down some furniture (the, you missed a spot kind of help), when all of a sudden I noticed how beautiful the fall setting was. 

This is weird because if you know anything about me, you know how much I despise fall. My garden dies, it gets cold, and the sun stops shinning. I seriously get depressed about it all and have never, ever noticed anything beautiful about any of it. 

But there I was, standing under the half hundred oak trees in the yard and the whole thing was so beautiful. At first it was the bright yellow and red leaves floating gracefully down, almost like watching the first snowfall of the year.  

Between that and the pile of apples I was getting ready for apple butter, I could not help but remember a couple lines to an old favorite.......

I visit the orchards of spheres, and look at the product:
 And look at quintillions ripen'd, and look at quintillions green.
Walt Whitman




2 comments:

  1. Fall is my favorite season...but I think I had to grow into it. Summer was always my favorite, but as I like the heat less and the beauty more, fall it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been more of a winter person, though in recent years I've come to love summer as well.

    Fall is an enchanting time of year.

    Apple butter is so good!

    ReplyDelete