Monday, November 15, 2010

Chagall Windows in Chicago

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live in the city of Chicago with all its art and culture.  But then I have a friend visit me for a week and I get the chance to show off and re-explore my favorite artsy places and things, like Chagall in Chicago.  

Public art is huge in Chicago. It's everywhere, all the time.  So even though it was November, I knew that I had to get as much art in when my best friend told me that she wanted to see and do everything in Chicago that I loved and enjoyed myself.  

Of course the Art Institute was on the menu, but I was thrilled when I realized she would be here the very week the Chagall Windows, or America Windows, would be re-installed! After poking around other parts of Chicago, and getting a little shopping in, we headed to the AIC to take a look at the windows and a few other favorite pieces in the museum.  


Here they are!


The color in the room that they are now installed is so intense and I can understand why so many places wanted Chagall windows of their own.  From Wikipedia:

According to Picasso's mistress, Françoise Gilot, Picasso had a great deal of respect for Chagall, and once told her,
"When Matisse dies, Chagall will be the only painter left who understands what color is... His canvases are really painted, not just tossed together. Some of the last things he's done in Vence convince me that there's never been anybody since Renoir who has the feeling for light that Chagall has."
Stand in that room, or in front of anything else Chagall made, and you will know that what Picasso said was true.


Chagall dedicated the windows, which commemorate the American bicentennial, to Mayor Richard J. Daley after completing Four Seasons, a Chicago sculpture that was met with much enthusiasm by Chicagoans.  Even though this piece was done in an entirely different medium, the windows remind me much of Four Seasons.  


After the windows we had time to check out my favorite pieces by Renoir, Degas, Van Gogh, Monet and others.  I'll share all of those with you guys later. 


Today I am linking up with my good friend JR at Frugality is Free


Photobucket
 Advertisement

4 comments:

  1. Following back from http://www.MyCreativeWay.blogpsot.com :D

    Raychel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post for "The Wednesday Window" :-) . . . love that shade of blue, just gorgeous!!

    Happy Hump Day!

    Gina . . . http://labelladiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stained glass is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is seriously some fantastic work. Love the colors too!

    I'm the same way, although I live extremely close to Miami, we only end up going downtown and to all the touristy places when my family comes to visit. The rest of the time we just live in our little area of South Florida paradise.


    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I would like to invite you to this week’s The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete