Saturday, November 20, 2010

What is it About Frida?

For a couple of months now I have been left wondering what it is about Frida that attracts so many people.  For me it has always been the color and pain. Those two things brought together by Frida make for some incredibly moving works of art. 

Several months ago I had the chance to go check out a traveling display of photography by Nickolas Muray.  Muray's subject was Frida, the two were lovers, and spanned several years.   I shared some of what I saw here, on my blog, and since then the post has had hundreds of views every week, and sometimes days.  
I Will Never Forget You...: Frida Kahlo to Nickolas Muray 

Just the other day, while picking books for my Chronicle book Haul, I found I Will Never Forget You, a book containing 56 colored plates by Nickolas Muray-- many of the same ones I saw in the exhibit in March. I plan on buying it during one of my upcoming Holiday book splurges :)


For the time being, I will continue to get a kick out of just what it is about Frida that attracts people- compliments of the updated Stats tracker installed on Blogger.  Seriously, everything from "How do I get Frida's eyebrows?" to "die like Frida" show up on the search bar tracker every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment