Sunday, December 12, 2010

USL's Pick of the Best Lip Balms

I use lip balm year round, but in the winter I go through tubes like there is no tomorrow.  I find that it is better to use liberally when my lips are looking good in order to keep them from becoming chapped and dried out.  Still, chapped lips do happen, and when they do, there are a couple brands of lip balm that I depend on to bring my lips back to life.  

Here are my picks for the best lip balms!

Number 5: eos Organic Lip Balm

eos Organic Lip Balm Multipack - 4 Flavors
Love, love, love the packaging for the eos brand of lip balm-- and the fact that they are organic.  However, my first sphere buy was the Sweet Mint (light mint colored sphere in the picture) and I thought the mint scent was too strong and the tingling sensation even stronger.  

I gave the brand another try when the fruity scents came out and loved them enough to go back and try some of the earlier scents too-- lemon drop and honeydew.  But, while they are fun to have, and give, the cool packaging that attracted me does not make them practical to carry around. 

Walgreens, CVS, Amazon, $4

Number 4: Carmex Moisture Plus

Prior to last month, I had never owned nor tried Carmex, though I was familiar with the yellow tubes and jars.  Vitamin E and Aloe are my go to moisturizers, so when I saw both on the list of ingredients for this new tube, I had to try it.  Of the three new tubes, I prefer the sheer pink tint because it gives me just the slightest hint of color without making it look like I put something on.  

For every day its great, the Aloe and Vit E do work to keep lips soft.  Added bonus is that the tubes of balm are SPF 15! Smell is a big factor for me, as you will see, and while the chemical smell was not as strong with the Moisture Plus tubes, it was still there.

You can buy Carmex Moisture Plus at Walgreens or on Amazon, $3.00

Number 3:  Burt's Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm 

Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil 
I have been using Burt's Bees products for a long time, almost for as long as I have been alive (about 20 years) and when hardly anyone carried them, so obviously I am a huge fan.  Of all the tubes of Burt's Bees lip balms I have tried, the Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil does the best job of keeping my lips healthy.  It looks great too, because it has a subtle red tint.

So why third?  Well, its the scent again.  Kinda smells medicated, like Vapo Rub for your slips-- only an entirely different scent than Vapo Rub, but you get what I'm saying. That said, I still keep tubes tucked around and apply liberally.  
You can buy Burt's Bees just about anywhere or Amazon, $3.


Number 2: Nivea A Kiss Of Flavor in Passion Fruit 

Nivea's Kiss of Flavor in Passion Fruit is my favorite brand and scent of lip balm to wear.  If it were edible, I would eat it!  I actually fell in love with Nivea lip balms when I was living in Madrid and I mourned the end of the tubes I brought home with me, until I found these on the shelf a couple years later.  I've tried all of the scents Nivea carries and nothing compares to the Passion Fruit.

Jojoba and Castor seed oil keep lips moisturized and there is a nice punch of color with a smooth fruit scent that make this lip balm fun to wear.  My only gripe, no sun protection, so I double balm when I go outside because this is too good to pass on entirely. 

You can buy Nivea Kiss of Flavor at Walgreens, CVS or on Amazon, $4.00.


Number 1: Avon Basics Care Deeply with Aloe Lip Balm


This little tube from Avon is my number one, all you really need, fixes even the worst lips in the world, lip balm.  I swear by this stuff and buy it in bulk.  No matter how much you lather it on, your lips will soak it right up. Bonus: no scent!

I have been on a boat in the middle of the ocean for weeks and returned with cracked, burned and seriously chapped lips (not the best time to forget a tube), been out in the freezing cold and ended up with seriously wind burned lips and NOTHING healed my lips like Avon's Care Deeply with Aloe Lip Balm. 

Not just that, but after seeing how well it worked on my lips, and being out of Aloe and Vit E once, I used it on my skin.  It's like a little miracle stick. 

You can buy Avon's Lip Balm with Aloe on Avon.com or directly from a rep. online!  My friend Michelle has an online store, here, and has a shopping special-- Free Shipping with online orders over $30. 

Do you have a favorite that you think I should try?  Want to try one of my favorites listed here?  Leave me a comment and I will randomly draw (on 10/15) someone to receive one of my favorites!  *Leave an email so that I can contact you. I hate having to redraw because the winner leaves me no way to contact them*

3 comments:

  1. I also love Burt's Bees but the one I like the best is the regular Beeswax Lip Balm. And any of the Avon ones do a great job, too. I keep them on hand, too. In fact, I have a box of extras in my closet in case anyone comes over and needs a lip balm. If anyone would like to order some Avon lip balm, you can do so at www.youravon.com/mwilson5623 I am offering free shipping on $30 orders or more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the honesty of your reviews. I too have a problem with the menthol or camphor odor of some lip balms and I don't like the tingle/burn sensation. I agree about the Avon products, but for just a lip balm the Dew kiss is my favorite. It is super cheap, doesn't stink and makes my lips so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up, I check your blogs daily. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep up the good work!

    Also visit my blog post :: Ray Ban Outlet

    ReplyDelete