Thursday, January 20, 2011

Contest Cheating & Shenanigans, And a Request for Votes

I have seen a lot of complaining lately on Twitter, FB and in forums in regards to contest cheating, but till recently I was not aware of it myself probably because they were for things or contests I was not in.  Voting contests on FB or similar sites are not something I usually do because in so many cases you can game the system and then it becomes futile to complain. 

However, yesterday I saw a travel contest for a trip to Australia, while looking up some travel stuff. Australia and New Zealand have long been a dream of mine, so I checked it out and saw that you had to add one of your fave travel photos and why you want to win. Easy enough, what they haydle, I entered!

Now, I know I don't have the biggest social media network and I don't friend every living thing I pass, but I am confident that I can at least get myself in the running.  Even though some of the entries have a huge head start and I am entering in the final few days of the contest (it ends on 1/31), I am still optimistic!

Soon after I posted my photo though I got a PM from another contestant and saw that a comment had been made on my photo at the same time.  When I checked the comment, the young lady had linked to an FB event promoting her own photo. Hmm.  It wasn't until I checked out the PM that I actually started not to like her.  She PM'd me with some very rude comments about my own pic and then comments about myself. 

Being the adult, I simply messaged her with civil comments about what I feel is common sense contest etiquette.  Now, do such things really exist, IDK, but they do for me. After another rude PM, I blocked her.  But then I got another nasty PM from her under another FB username and then another and another...well, you see where this is going.  Each of these usernames had liked and essentially voted for her picture too.  

I don't mind a good ole' contest, but I won't stoop to cheating and now I know firsthand why folks complain about these types of contests.  So, I currently sit on 15 Likes, hopefully some good ole HONEST social networking will get me there, or at least close, lol.  

If you feel inclined to like my photo and have an FB account, I would be super grateful! 
This is the photo I entered, it was this trip that changed the way I travel and live. Ahh, to be out on the water again!




You need to Like Topdeck, the sponsor, first and then Like my entry:
Topdeck: http://www.facebook.com/TopdeckTravel
My Entry: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=714605477931&set=o.21508152068

I might not be 18 anymore, but contrary to said contestants thinking, I can handle a good adventure!

Almost forgot, if you can help by sharing or retweeting, I would love you forever!

You can use this tweet!

Please LIKE my FB photo entry http://tiny.cc/g0l1v for a dream trip to Australia with @TopdeckTravel! RT PLS!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi I am a new follower of your blog. I will go vote for your photo. Good Luck winning the trip.

    Dawn @ Mom-a-Logues
    http://www.mom-a-logues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks so much for linking up at Swingin' By Sundays! I'm a new follower! Would love a follow back if you don't already! Hope you have an awesome Sunday!

    Kim
    http://www.chubbycheeksthinks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm headed over to vote too, I have long been a little suspicious of those FB contests too, unfortunately I think sometimes us honest people get taken advantage of!
    Love your blog, hope you'll follow me back,
    - Stephanie
    www.bentofabulous.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That sucks! I don't LIKE facebook contests! Dislike, Dislike, Dislike!

    I came over from the Monday blog hop, and am I new follower!

    Hope you'll follow me back!
    http://www.lovinangelseveryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it interesting the unusual and nasty things you can run into in social networking? I'm sure you handled it well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete