Monday, February 21, 2011

Monastery Creations Handmade Soap Review

One of the gifts I got for Valentine's Day was a bar of handcrafted soap from Monastery Creations, a business run by the Benedictine sisters of perpetual adoration.  Funny enough, some of my favorite things are made from the hands of some sister or brother somewhere.

Sadly, most of the time the products that I love from convents or monasteries cannot be bought online or anywhere else. So, I was very happy that there was a web address on the tag that led me to an entire online store of handmade bath and beauty products.

My mom bought a bar of Monastery Scents for each of my sisters and I to support a fundraiser. She picked out Lavender, Gardenia, Daffodil and Cucumber Melon bars. Each one comes in a little burlap pouch with a wax seal and tagI loved that little touch and didn't want to break the seal, but wanted to use the soap more.
The soap is glycerin based, which I usually stay away from, but I noticed right away that the bar is not even half glycerin, if even a quarter. There is shea and cocoa butter which I love and keeps my hands soft. There are also seven different types of oils used in each bar, ranging from sunflower seed oil to olive oil to coconut oil.  And depending on the scent, there are essential oils used and in the case of my lavender bar, lavender grown by the sisters is mixed into the bar.
I am hoping I can grab a few more bars from the group that was selling them so that I have another one when this one runs out.  

You can check out Monastery Creations for yourselves at MonsteryCreations.com