Saturday, March 12, 2011

Excuse Me While I Enter a Mexican Candy Coma!

Growing up I had no interest in candy store treats like the rest of my friends. Blow Pops, Airheads and Jawbreakers were fine, but they had nothing on my Mexican candy favorites. I grew up with Tamarindo, cacahuates garapinados, cajeta, camotitos poblanos and so much more!

Dulce, anyone?
Thursday night I woke Missy up and told her I had a dream about cacahuates, lol, and now they were all I could think about. The dream was about more than the cacahuates, but it included a fond memory of our last family trip to Mexico where we went to a town fiesta and enjoyed homemade tres leches, piping hot, right off the fire, cacahuates and buckets of dulce de leche-- Sweet!

The area we live in now, is so different than our old neighborhood. All I had to do was go to a corner market, bakery, or anywhere really, to grab almost any Mexican candy I wantedThey were so readily available, I never learned how to make any of it-- just dulce de leche. 

Here in the sticks, no one has any, which was why I nearly fell out of my seat when Missy came running to me with a new book she found at the library.
My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
OMG!
Oh boy! I just searched for My Sweet Mexico on Amazon and another recently published Mexican candy cookbook, Dulce, just popped up!

Anyway, this cookbook has every Mexican candy favorite I ever tried and so many more. My mom and I were just talking about wanting a recipe for pan dulce, but she never learned how to make it growing up because there were so many panaderias in the neighborhood. 

So excuse me while I enter a Mexican candy coma! I just saw the recipe for Morelianas!!! Mazapanes de Cacahuate!!  Aaahhhh!