Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ideas for a Royal Wedding Viewing Party

Is anyone else planning on watching the royal wedding, or hosting a royal wedding viewing party?

Over the weekend the family started talking about the upcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Neither of the twins really even knew about the wedding or were watching any of the news surrounding the event, but Missy and I have been following the news off and on. 

Because we planned on doing a movie night this Friday anyway, Audrey Hepburn, and doing things we have never done before-- a la Breakfast at Tiffany's-- we decided that instead we would have a royal wedding viewing party.
Both my mom and I have been in London during pretty big royal events, but they were very different. She was there for the Queen's jubilee and I was there when Princess Diana died. As soon as the girls heard that my mom stayed up late to watch the wedding of Diana and Charles, they wanted to do the same thing.

So, it is up to me to plan the night, and since it is a wedding and because we will be up very late to catch it live, it will take some extra special planning. Here are just a couple of the ideas I came up with for our royal wedding viewing party. 

A Good Love Story To get us through the waiting we are pulling out our favorite British love stories on film, including Pride and Prejudice, Three Weddings and a Funeral, Shakespeare in Love, and Bridget Jones' Diary-- don't think there will be time for more.  

Time For a Midnight Feast It was in England that I had my first midnight feast and staying up late brings on the munchies, so we will be enjoying some British treats and semi proper food and drinks too. The twins love tea and scones and don't need an excuse to have any, so we will be making scones and tomorrow we will stop at World Market to pick up a tea sampler set-- preferably one with a British image on it :) Cadbury eggs, salt and vinegar crisps and Twiglets too!

Oh, we will also be making more of these Princess Cake pops using Wilton's princess pop picks and their cake pop wrappers. The wrappers are meant to resemble tulips, but we will be flipping them around and making them dress bottoms!

Cool Headgear Here at our house, we have a thing for headgear. The twins love hats, Missy is obsessed with them and I am a big fan of scarves, headbands, vintage hairpins and fascinators. And since fascinators are easy enough to make I am going to pick up some plain combs, feathers, and netting and let the girls have fun making their own with my stash of vintage pins, buttons and beads to adorn them. 

End It With a Bouquet Toss I have been to countless weddings and never caught a bouquet-- this might have something to do with the fact that I never try-- but for one night I can make an exception. The one thing I do like about Cinco de Mayo, are seeing around on Dia de los Muertos, are making paper tissue flower bouquets-- big red, orange and yellow ones! Kate will probably have an all white bouquet, but I will grab every color tissue paper I can find and let the girls go wild making their own bouquets to toss. 

So, will you be watching?  Pictures to come, I hope!