Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sweet Potato Candy Recipe aka Camotitos Poblanos

My mom was confused when I was more excited about making camotito candy (sweet potato candy or camotitos poblanos, in Spanish) than Macarrones, or sweet milk fudgy logs, because growing up, and still now, I will choose a macarrone over camotito.  I came clean and confessed that the only reason I did that growing up was because I knew my mom would always take camote, so this way I would get to enjoy my milk fudge and steal a bite of her camote :)

I'm not gonna lie...I still do it!

But before I share this recipe with you, I should mention that it is a very lengthy process-- not difficult or laborious, but it will not be ready to eat right away.  I ended up making this right before dad went into the hospital and though I never gave them the hard sugar crust, they were still delicious.


You Will Need:
1 large sweet potato (camote)
4 cups water
1 lime (its juice)
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
3/4 cup sugar

For glaze
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water


What You Do:
Drop your sweet potato in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Don't bother peeling the potato before cooking, wait till it is cooked and cooled to do that. Once you get the water boiling, reduce the heat and allow to simmer with the lid on. Once your potato is cooked through-- test fork, people-- remove from heat, drain and let your sweet potato cool.


When your potato is cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and combine your whole potato, 3 1/2 cups of water, and the juice from one lime in a bowl. Do not mash, mix or bother the potato, just let it sit there for an hour. 


I tripled the recipe to make enough for everyone :)

Once the hour is up, drain and puree. I did this by hand because it is easy enough and one less thing to clean. Puree the pineapple and combine with sweet potato puree. It will be soupy at this point.

Sweet potato puree without pineapple added.

In a thick bottomed pot combine sugar and 1/2 cup water and cook on high until sugar is entirely dissolved and begins to bubble. Slowly stir in sweet potato and pineapple mixture. Stir constantly on medium/low heat for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the mixture begins to become a sticky ball. The idea is to cook out the water. 

Sweet potato mixture is about ready.

Remove the pot from heat, continue stirring so that it does not burn or stick to the pot. Once the mixture has cooled completely, spoon out onto a greased platter or onto wax paper. I have had these treats in blocks, rolled out logs, but spooning into small servings is easiest. 

All lined up and almost ready to eat. 

Here comes the hard part. Truth be told, you can just eat it at this point-- and when you hear what I am about to say, you just might. Once you have spooned out your candy you need to allow it to dry overnight. Flip the candy over and allow the other side to dry out as well. 

I am just as shocked as you are that they lasted this long without fingers or spoons attacking them.



Ready to enjoy? Not yet! If you decide that you want to glaze these babies, giving them a nice, crisp shell you will need to first make the glaze and then wait another 2 days. Worth it? Combine 1 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup water in a saucepan, boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Brush glaze on the dry candy, allow to set overnight, flip and brush the other side and let it set. 

ENJOY!

Seriously, these are incredible, but the next time we make them we will be eating the sweet potato sugared mix as soon as it cools. It was so hard to let them set for as long as it takes. 

Let me know if you try them, or if you have a different way of making sweet potato candy!