Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Review: My Sweet Mexico, Not So Sweet

My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats 
I was so excited when I found, My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats because it had recipes for all of my favorite dulces, plus lots of other stuff that I have been wanting to try. Over the last two months or so, I have been trying to replicate the recipes within. None of them are working!

Okay, that is not entirely true. I did have some luck with the Camote candy, but it was not exactly what I am used to eating and I had to modify the recipe some to get it to taste the way I wanted-- though it never stiffened up the way it is supposed to. 

The thing is, there are gaps in all of the recipe instructions for the ones I did try. I can't say if this is true for all the recipes in the book, but I did try about twelve different recipes and noticed this right away. The recipe would instruct you to do something, but then not say for how long, if it was just supposed to be the one time or if you were supposed to continue doing so.  It bugged me.

When I get a new cookbook I like to follow the recipe to the T, and then experiment with it later. I am a super duper recipe follower and this was the first time I have ever been so disappointed with a cookbook. The one thing that I can thank the book for is the cherry tomato empanada idea and the motivation for looking elsewhere for recipes for my favorite dulces. In my frustration I found Mexico In My Kitchen, and those recipes worked out beautifully.