Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Star Fruit, Pineapple and Mango Salsa Recipe

Last year I shared a quick dish that I fell in love with, mango salsa with chicken, and the salsa from a local store was delicious enough that I was content enough to buy instead of make. This week though, I found a recipe that took the mango salsa over the top, in this awesome book called Growing Tasty Tropical Plants. 
 Growing Tasty Tropical Plants: *in any home, anywhere. (like lemons, limes, citrons, grapefruit, kumquats, sunquats, tahitian oranges, barbados ... tea, black pepper, cinnamon, vanilla, an
I grabbed the book because I have been experimenting with a bunch of tropical plants and doing really well, but I saw all the recipes and a couple plants I have never heard of. Anyway, I spied this mango salsa recipe that tossed star fruit into the mix-- tastes delicious. I used it over shrimp kabobs that we grilled this weekend.

1 cup diced star fruit
1 cup peeled and diced mango
1/2 cup peeled and diced pineapple
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
I added:
squirt of an orange
2 tbsp chopped fresh lemon balm

Combine everything, chill and serve. This would go great over chicken and seafood dishes.