Thursday, September 22, 2011

New #Recipe! Sweet & Savory Chicken

So mom called and said she bought chicken tenders. If I wasn't planning on making anything else I could do something with them for dinner.  Alright! 


Normally I would batter and bake, bread and fry, or cover them in mole. I was too tired to do the first, have stopped making anything fried, and we were out of mole. Dad wanted something Mexican-- the usual-- but the girls and I wanted something along the lines of sweet and sour chicken. 


I had a copy of Every Day With Rachel Ray next to me, from October 2010, so I started flipping. Right away I noticed the Take Five feature-- 5 ingredient recipes and got cracking. I ended up having to make two separate meals-- something my mother stopped doing years ago, but I remember her doing all the time as a kid because my dad is very picky about what he eats. 


So here is what you are going to need. 
3 pounds chicken wings-- I used chicken tenders
1 cup pineapple juice-- I used 2 cups, thought the marinade tasted better (less salty)
1 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 ounces lemon flavored gelatin- weird, I know, but it tastes great)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds - I just sprinkled away


And this is what you do!
First get the oven going-- 350 degrees, folks. Then get a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken and three cups of liquid, combine the chicken, pineapple juice and soy sauce in the bowl. Let the chicken marinate for a full 15 minutes-- this is where the savory part of the recipe happens :)

Right, so the chicken is doing its thing. In the meantime, line a baking tray with foil.  Quick fry some greens if you like those-- they make a great side. Then lay out all the chicken on your tray, give them space to breathe (no bunk bedding or they won't all get cooked the same). Pour a half cup of the marinade over the chicken and sprinkle half of the lemon gelatin all over the chicken. Bake for 30 minutes. 


When thirty minutes have passed, flip all the chicken and do the same thing to the other side-- marinade, sprinkle, but this time sprinkle the poppy seeds all over the chicken too. Makes it look all gourmet and stuff. Bake for another 30 minutes and go do something else. Done! 

I served the chicken over white rice (which I then added more marinade too, my own plate at least) and we had butter and garlic garden beans that we picked off the poles this afternoon. 

The girls gave the recipe a solid 7, and it gets an 8 from me because of how easy it was to make. Seriously, I felt like a super juggler making it because at the same time I was able to prep a different chicken dish for dad-- with Spanish rice and beans--, made ice tea to drink, fielded colonial history questions from the girls and debated the Troy Davis case with dad. That never happens. 

But back to the dish. I was thinking more along the lines of sweet and sour chicken when I spotted the recipe, but it is definitely not that. Still, I loved it, and it is great for when I want something different, have a taste for sweet and sour but don't want it or don't have any sauce. I especially loved that it was super moist-- dad mentioned he liked that too when he stole a piece. My dad also mentioned that the next time I made this dish, I could go ahead and just give him that too-- Hello! Winning recipe all the way around!!

This makes 5 new recipes in just as many days:
  • Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
  • Creamy Chicken Soup Bowls
  • Creamy Beef Soup
  • Cherry Tomato Empanadas 
  • and now, Sweet & Savory Chicken
What have you cooked up?