Friday, October 28, 2011

No Longer Unwanted #SocialChange

I'm sure you've all read it by now, 300 young women in India decided to change their names from Unwanted. Even though I don't know a single one of these girls, I am extremely proud of all of them. It is a hard thing for me to imagine being a child and not just feeling unwanted, but knowing that it is so. 

One of the reasons Dickens has been a favorite author of mine since childhood was because he planted this seed in society about children. He made everyone think about they way they treated them, used them, begrudged them. Dickens really changed the way children were brought up, protected, and cherished.  We need another mirror. 

I feel that not a day goes by that I am reading about the way in which children are treated or mistreated in some corner of the world and it makes me incredibly pissed.  It pisses me off that women are forced to undergo sterilization with their existing family members used as pawns to make sure they comply. It pisses me off that girls are being named Unwanted, that they are being dumped when they are born so that parents can try again for a boy, that there are enough abandoned girls sitting in orphanages to form an army.

At the same time it is super frustrating. Frustrating because I know that I am not actively doing anything to change any of it. Actively improving the lives of others, and not just my own, used to be a huge part of who I was, who I always thought I would be. 

Anywho, so much for me being pissed off and frustrated. I wanted this to be a positive post, because it deserves to be. That said, anyone who is still reading this should know that in the future I plan on sharing all the great organizations, movements, and charities I come across that are changing people's lives for the better. Even if you or I can't be out there helping them in person, there are other ways to help. And I guess this was the kick in the butt that I had to give myself to get back out there and get my hands dirty.