Monday, February 20, 2012

Downton Abbey, Until We Meet Again #DowntonAbbey

I have so many mixed emotions when it comes to Downton Abbey....
  - I detest Mary. I sympathize with her.
  - I want a Violet in my life! Wait, maybe I don't!
  - Why does PBS group the episodes together, I need more than one month of this. Never mind, give me more Downton every week!

So now the long wait begins. But there is plenty to get me, and you, through the long months-- and way more than after the end of last season!

The second season DVD set of Downton Abbey just came out, so why not have a Downton Abbey marathon. We love putting on film marathons at our house and with four weddings in the works in season two, why not have a bridal shower or bachelorette party theme-- with tea and scones, of course. I just ordered the DVD set off of Amazon using the gift cards I racked up using Swagbucks!

It is also the perfect time to catch up on some Downton Abbey related reading. I put together a list of all the Edwardian and Downton Abbey related literature I read, and now that I think about it, I actually have a few more to add to it. 
You can check out that list, HERE, on my book blog. 

Don't forget that there are a bunch of new books were just published with Downton Abbey in mind, like The World of Downton Abbey and Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle and Below Stairs: The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir That Inspired "Upstairs, Downstairs" and "Downton Abbey"and What the Butler Winked At: Being the Life and Adventures of Eric Horne, Butler.  So much reading!


Speaking of that book list, I added books about the Titanic and the people that were on the ship because Downton Abbey starts with the sinking of the Titanic. It just so happens that the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking is this April 15th. I recently read, Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage and The Band That Played On: The Extraordinary Story of 8 Musician Who Went Down With the Titanic and highly recommend both.  



When you get tired of reading, I found these super funny print out Downton Abbey paper dolls on Vulture. There are four pages, including Mrs. O'Brien and her evil soap, Lady Mary with a Mr. Pamuk, Lady Sybil with suffragette props, and then there is Violet, the Dowager Countess and her many faces. You know...
AMUSED
 
BEMUSED
 
 PROUD
ANTIPATHETIC
See...
Love it! You can find the whole set, HERE.

And if you are feeling lucky, enter the PBS Downton Abbey sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip for two to England that includes a VIP tour of Highclere Castle and Leeds Castle, tea with Lady Carnarvon, and tea with Jessica Fellowes!! You can enter HERE and check out tons of other behind the scenes stuff! 

Kinda off topic, but it has some relevance for me. I love, love, love Edwardian fashion with all the beads. I go through episodes where I feel the need to bead everything in sight, so the dresses that the girls wear (especially Mary's) are one fo the reasons I watch and rewatch each episode.
I want this gown!
This season was spectacular, especially the Christmas episode, and I am going to try and get a couple Downton Abbey inspired pieces made up just for fun. I know I can whip up a couple of the head pieces, and might even make more than one to add to my Etsy store, because vintage inspired pieces are the whole reason I opened the shop. 
Fabulous!
There is actually a new book coming out, that I was able to get my hands on ahead of its release and it is filled with the patterns for Hollywood's most famous dresses. I am super excited because my favorite dress of all time is in the book, the red dress with all the black beading that Kate wore to dinner and then tried to jump off the ship in. Ah, love that dress. Anyway, as soon as I can I will share the details on the book, and let you all see the headpieces and Downton Abbey inspired dresses and head pieces as I work on them!

Till next season! (Don't even get me started on the addition of Shirley MacLaine)

The rest of the paper dolls, but you need to go to that link up there to get the printouts.