Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eau de Tangerine! Taking Cues From the Garden

When I heard tangerine was named the color of the year I kinda cringed because orange and tangerine are not easy colors to pull off. But when I started thinking about it and looked through my own closet and jewelry cases, I realized that I have a lot more than I thought and it really isn't that hard to style.
 

I know one of the things I do when I work with and see colors, is to see them as a garden. I love working in the garden, with flowers, and mixing colors is the best part. So, when you think about it, tangerine does wonders for a garden and the color is really able to draw out otherwise muted colors and can be toned down.  

I think these dress choices are a great example of how I use tangerine in the garden and how that translates to fabric.
 

Top Row: H&M Cotton Dress, Paul and Joe Dress, Shabby Apple
Bottom Row: Anthropologie Espejoa, Mod Cloth Shell Dress, Mod Cloth Dress  

 And even though I can't wear any of these with my ankle and knee, I love the way tangerine wedges look! Especially the tangerine with springs other "it" color, mint!

Anthropologie Slingbacks, Nine West Actout, H&M Tangerine & Mint  

Flats are right up my alley though, and I love these.  


Alexandre Birman Kristen, Sam Edelman Gigi, Dolce Vita Cyprus 

 I think its a lot easier for most to work tangerine accessories and shoes into your wardrobe. I know that when I look through my own things, I have a lot of jewelry with a touch of tangerine in it and I can easily add more. The necklace and earrings remind me of pieces I made for myself when I was younger, and seeing them I think I'll whip up a pair for myself this weekend.



Top Row: Moyna Necklace, Sprout Watch, Beaded Earrings
Bottom Row: Moyna Clutch, Kate Spade Sunglasses, Nine West Hobo

And then there is home decor. I think its a lot harder to incorporate orange and tangerine into your decor if you already have a room finished. But even in my plum/lavender bedroom there are small touches-- embroidered pillow and hand-painted pots I brought home from Mexico, a koi lamp pull from the Japanese garden in Dallas and glass Murano fish from a trip to Italy. 


I would like to do a whole garden room or even a patio with tangerine and orange as the main color though, because there are so many possibilities!
 
Top Row: Target Chair, Tangerine Wing, Anthropologie Patio Chair
Bottom Row: Ikea Pillow, Ikea Throw, Pier 1 Rug

Now off to pick out some beads!