Monday, March 12, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday Girl Scouts of USA!!

I could not let the day pass without mentioning the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America! I grew up in scouting, all my friends were in my troop, my mom was the leader from the 4th grade on, I traveled with scouts, made scout friends all over the world, got to explore career and personal interests as a scout. Its easy to say that scouting had a big influence in my life. 

I went all the way through the scouting program, minus being a daisy because the troop met during my nap time, and when I earned my Gold Award and applied to college, every single one mentioned my achievements as a scout as a large influence to my acceptance. I honestly cannot think of a single negative thing to say about the years I spent as a scout.

That road trip I have been telling you all about, in drips and drabs, even had a scouting purpose. 16 years ago, I went on my first big scouting trip to Savannah, Georgia. It had a sailing theme, taking place during the summer Olympics, and on that trip I had the chance to visit the Juliette Low Birthplace and other girl scout related sites in Savannah.


That trip left a big impression on me, and I went on to take several other trips around the world, but I always wanted to go back to Savannah. Knowing that we would more or less pass Savannah on the way to the shuttle launch, and that my three sisters had never been to the birthplace, it was very important to me to stop on the way down or the way home. Travel plans change and we almost didn't make it, but we reached Savannah, Georgia at 3:15, took the last tour of the day, and got back in the car to make it home to Chicago just in the knick of time.  

My mom is the only Girl Scout in the family left to visit the birthplace, and that will be remedied this summer. If all goes as planned, the entire family will be taking a scouting trip of sorts. There is a lot going on all over the nation this year to celebrate the 100th anniversary, so I will be sharing the events that we will be celebrating with you as we go along!

Happy 100th Birthday GSUSA!!!