Thursday, May 17, 2012

What's Blooming in the Garden, #Whatsblooming Spring Edition

Given the extremely mild winter we have been having, the garden is doing great and flowers are popping up everywhere. Because of the heavily shaded yard we have here at the new house Spring and late summer into fall are the most bountiful times of year. All the summers of trial and error, getting used to the new growing conditions a shaded forest has and microclimates that a hillside create are beginning to pay off. 


There is plenty that needs doing, plants that need dividing, replacing, borders that need reestablishing and tons of mulching. 


I usually keep a garden journal so I know what got done when, can keep track of what does well where, and keep an eye on 60 & 90 day veggies better. Figured I might as well record that here as well, since I come back to check out pictures and posts from previous years. 

Friday: Weeded front two beds along drive (20 minutes)
Saturday: Sewed peas along fence (10 minutes)
Sunday: Added compost to far veggie bed, reset green bean posts, sewed beans, transplanted self sown sunflowers (1 hour)
Monday: Transplanted lettuce seedlings to pots (10 minutes)
Tuesday: Rained all day :(
Wednesday: Transplanted carrot seedlings in garden (30 minutes)

So want to see what's blooming already. Well, there are the two clematis plants- one over the wishing well and the other climbing a trellis on the patio. 

The yellow columbine that I grew from seed at the old house and then brought over when we moved. The bleeding heart on the side of the house is doing fantastic as well. 

Oh, and the dirty iris plants are all over the place. For the record, dirty iris is not their real name, but what I call them. I have not been able to find an exact match for them anywhere and they are not what I planted there from the other house so I am seriously beginning to think they crossed with something. 


In the veggie garden, the cold season plants I put in are doing well. I have tons of red onions growing and have already been using the greens for months. I put in peas on the fence, but had to redo much of it when we had late night stompers. Put beans in this week and transplanted carrots too. 
The last of last years bean crop

After years of trial and frustration here, all on account of all the shade, I only stick with short season veggies which end up taking all summer to grow in our garden. It works, but it means that no peppers, tomatoes, and other faves of mine-- because it just won't happen with all the trees. Oh, the chives and thyme are in huge abundance so I have been busy trying to find additional ways to use it all up. 
Now that I have a better idea of what the garden is looking like and what it needs, I can head to the farmer's market again this weekend and pick up some native plants we don't already have. Happy gardening!