Saturday, September 22, 2012

The #Chicago World #Music Festival and @CantecadeMacao

You know how I am always going on and on about my love for flamenco, flamenco fusion, flamenco rock etc? Well, its weeks like this, when Chicago puts on music festivals that I am in heaven and able to get my fill of the sounds that make me feel more alive than anything else. True, over the last few years there have been several flamenco based groups that popped up here and there in Chicago, but even though they are great and I love them, they just don't have that authentic sound that I crave.



Chicago has cut out so many music concerts and festivals on account of the costs, but the World Music Festival has survived! The Festival started yesterday, the 21st, and runs till the 27th, at venues all across the city. There are so many acts across tons of genres, but of course, I am excited by all the flamenco and other Latin music genres.

At the top of my list, Canteca de Macao, a groups thats a little flamenco, a little reggae with Afro-Cubana, and then ska. I know you are probably thinking, "what the heck are you talking about, Soph" but trust me it works. 

I knew the group was going to be here in the States touring, but it also happened to be the busiest time of the year for me so far, with my calendar double and triple booked. As it happens, the out of town trip I had planned on was cancelled and Canteca de Macao is playing the festival Sunday and Monday night-- first at Old Town School of Folk Music and then ICC. Whether I will actually get to see them, I don't know, though I sincerely hope to.   

Check out their music video for my favorite song, Musica.



The band also gives their fans the chance to download and enjoy their music. Visit this page on the band's website for four different ways to access the music. 

Listen to it. Enjoy it. Es tan bello que da miedo <- I totally stole that line. 

You can find the entire list of performers at the World Music Festival in Chicago, here.