Friday, October 5, 2012

Inspiring Young Women to Know Their Beauty #DoveInspired

Ever talk to girls and young women about their looks, about what they think is beautiful? I promise you it will be an interesting conversation. With three younger sisters I have had, and probably will continue to have, the opportunity to speak with them about what is beautiful and how they see beauty.

Dove has been behind a push for women and girls to see their beauty for a few years now. Knowing that we are beautiful is not something that many young women and girls will allow themselves, and that's sad because there is beauty in everyone. I remember having heart to hearts with my younger sisters when they were as young as ten, and according to some research Dove conducted its pretty much about the time girls start worrying about their looks. 

According to Dove research:
  • In girls aged 10-17, 72% feel pressure to look beautiful
  • In the same age range, only 11% use the word beautiful to describe themselves (isn't that sad)
My beautiful baby sisters turn 16 this year, and I remember what it was like being their age. I don't remember being obsessed with my looks or anything, but I definitely remember wanting to change some things. One of the things that definitely made a difference and eased my own worries was my mom, and the other adult women in my life. I've noticed over the years, working with teenage girls through scouting, that just having women in their lives that they can talk to casually and honestly with, really makes a difference.  It's why I was so excited to hear about this campaign because I know the mission of scouting well, and I have seen what it does for young women-- the confidence and independence it builds. Dove's Let's Talk program, is exactly what Girl Scouting is all about.

Dove has noticed this too, which is why they are launching “Let’s Talk”, the theme of the third annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend taking place Oct.5-7 nationwide. 
• A kick-off event in New York is set to spark a national conversation, with partner events nationwide, a Kroger sponsored event at Boys & Girls Clubs in Cincinnati and special display areas at Walmart stores
  • Dove is partnering with  Girl Scouts of the U.S.A, Girls Inc, and Boys & Girls Clubs in a silent march to Times Square
• Dove invites women across the U.S. to participate in the Dove Self-Esteem Weekend
  • Visit ViveMejor.com to access free tools, including a discussion guide, to help the young women in your life
  • Visit Dove.com to learn more about the partners mentioned
Dove has a goal of reaching 15 million girls by 2015, totally possible in my opinion.  

*Disclosure: This post is compensated and in collaboration with Dove and Latina Bloggers Connect, all opinions are my own.*