Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Iron Rich Pineapple Beet Smoothies #Recipe #DairyFree

I've had a hard time keeping my iron levels where they need to be, so in addition to taking iron pills I've started using things rich in iron-- like beets-- in recipes. Flipping through a magazine I noticed a recipe for a Pineapple-Beet smoothie that is supposed to help with high blood pressure and I remembered that beets are also great for iron. 



Turns out we had beets on hand and pineapple! The recipe is also dairy free (even if it weren't I would've made it that way). This was actually one of the first times I've knowingly had beets and I was in love with the taste of my smoothie-- beats iron pills any day!

What You Need
1/2 cup cooked beets, sliced
1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks, frozen (canned works too, but then throw in 6 ice cubes)
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup fresh orange juice

What You Do
Toss everything in the blender and puree until smooth. Should make 2-3 cups. Enjoy!


Know of any other easy ways to toss beets into a recipe? Or any other iron rich veggies I should try?