Wednesday, February 5, 2014

USA Ski Jumping at Home #Sochi2014 #Chicago #Olympics

The start of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics is less than 24 hours away! Sadly, most of the news around the Olympics has to do with scandal, corruption, security threats and now the city's unpreparedness for the games. Instead of focusing on all of that today, I wanted to make sure I shared with y'all the awesome event I got to see last week-- Ski Jumping!



Every year the Norge Ski Club hosts a Ski Jump Tournament, with competitors coming from all over the country and world. It was actually one leg of the US Cup and because local, Mike Glasder (one of Norge's own), is on the USA Ski Jumping team it was a pretty big thing. A day or two before the event the team that will be representing the USA at Sochi was announced and unfortunately, Mike just missed being selected, but I don't think he is going to stop jumping anytime soon. 

I mean, check this out, its pretty much flying.....sure you have to fly down an incredibly steep ramp, but you're flying! 

Watching was thrilling, I can't even imagine what it's like to fly like that. And I don't want to imagine it. After a beautiful day, one of the few we've had this winter, by the river I want to give it a try. 

Luckily for me, Norge is right in Chicagoland, and they are very encouraging to crazy people like me that want to give it a go. 

I always watch the Olympics, and even watch out for sports that I would never try. I don't recall ever paying that much attention to ski jumping in the past though-- but seeing it for myself was definitely exciting.  Every jump was different, and every jump was appreciated by the crowd. 

Did y'all know that women will be competing in ski jumping for the first time in the Olympics this year? This young lady was the only female to qualify in the Sr division, and she ended up posting the furthest jump-- though she had some trouble with the landing. Still, she got right back up and walked it off (placed 3rd in the end). 

This time next year I hope to be posting pics of myself jumping off a hill-- might be the small bunny hill, but I am going to jump. :)

Who will be watching the Olympics this year? What events are your favorite? Think you'd ever give ski jumping a try if you had the chance?