Thursday, July 17, 2014

Mango Shortcake You'll Want to Crave #Recipe #DairyFree

With mangoes being in season, they have been super cheap so I always grab a couple at a time. The extra leaves me with one to try making something new, even if I don't always know what that something new is going to be. A couple weeks ago I was thinking about strawberry shortcake, only I didn't have strawberries on hand. 

So instead I made this!


 
There are some people in this world that don't like mangoes. Strange, I know. I'll take my mangoes any way I can get them-- dried, covered with chili, in syrup, as a marinade and diced as salsa-- but my favorite way is fresh, just the way they are.


While I did cut up the mango, you don't have to do anything else to it in this recipe. I like to have juice to drizzle over the biscuits (I went with easy drop biscuits over a more traditional cake base because I was being lazy) so I took turned some of the mango into a light syrup. 

Was way better than strawberry shortcake, though I'm still thinking about making some of that too. The problem being, when I bring home strawberries, they are too good to pass up and end up getting eaten.

Here's the simple, super quick recipe I used so that I could enjoy some shortcake that I am craving all over again thanks to this write-up. 

Biscuit Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or sub with almond milk if you're allergic like me)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Mango Topping
2 mangoes, cut up into squares
1/3 cup water

Combine all the dry ingredients, making sure there are no clumps. Add the milk and lightly mix till all the dry ingredients are wet. 

Grease a flat baking tray and preheat oven to 400F. Spoon dough onto your baking tray, don't bother pressing down because the biscuits will flatten out as they bake. 

Bake for 18 minutes. 

Meanwhile, take 1/4 cup of your cut up mangoes and put them in a small saucepan with the water. Heat over medium for about 5-10 minutes till the mango begins breaking down. Stir constantly. You want to create a very light syrup with the mango looking almost like it has been smashed into a jam-like consistency. Remove from heat. 

Once your biscuits are done, remove from oven and allow them to cool. Slice your biscuits in half, add some mango syrup to the biscuits and then top with mango and whipped topping. The mangoes themselves are sweet enough, so if you don't like overdoing it on sweetness, skip the syrup and topping. 

Enjoy!